St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church,
Port Felix was called Molasses Harbour until 1869.
Before the church was built, Father Francois Lejamtel would visit occassionally from Arichat.
The church was built about 1845.
Rev. James Drummond became pastor of Guysborough in 1848, and he included Molasses Harbour in his rounds.
Port Felix was establised as the second parish in Guysborough County in 1851. Rev. Drummond becames it's first priest. He lived at White Head.
Bishop Colin F. Campbell paid a visit to the parish in July 1860, where he was "greeted enthusiastically with banners and guns".
Father Drummond resigned in 1864, and was replaced by Belgian priest Felix van Blerk. Father van Blerk must have made a very big impression on the village, because in 1869, five years after his arrival, the name of the settlement was changed from Molasses Harbour to Port Felix, in his honour.
Rev. Martin A. MacPherson, a native of Big Pond took over in 1874, followed by Rev. G. M. LeBlanc in 1878.
Rev. Placide LeBlanc was parish priest from 1916-1950.
Three parishioners have been ordained to the priesthood, they are Rev. A.A. Boudreau, Rev. Gerald David and Rev. Robert Cashin.
St. Joseph's stands on a high hill overlooking the bay.
Pastors through the years
James D. Drummond, first pastor
ca. Dec. 1851 - 30 Apr. 1864
Felix van Blerk, pastor
5 May 1864-1 Sept. 1874
Martin A. MacPherson, pastor
1 Sept. 1874 - 30 Nov. 1878
Guillaume M. LeBlanc, pastor
3 Dec. 1878 - 1 Sept. 1879
Aug. Vanrenterghem, pastor
~ Sept. 1879 - 19 Aug. 1889
Francis Broussard, pastor, first time
1 Dec. 1889 - 31 Oct. 1890
Amable E. Monbourquette, pastor
16 Nov. 1890 - 30 Apr. 1893
Neil MacDonald, pastor
1 Nov. 1893 - 26 Sept. 1895
Francis Broussard, pastor, second time
1 Oct. 1895 - 31 July 1897
John D. MacLeod, pastor
Aug. 1897 - Aug. 1898
Lubin J. Gallant, pastor
20 Nov. 1898-31 Oct. 1900
Francis Broussard, pastor, third time
1 Nov. 1900 - 25 Jan. 1907
J. Pierre Robitaille, pastor
25 Jan. 1907-1 Dec. 1909
H.J. Louis de G. Chouinard, pastor
1 Dec. 1909 - 31 May 1911
L. Eugene Noel, pastor
1 June 1912 - July 1916
Placide A. LeBlanc, pastor
6 July 1916 - 18 Sept. 1950
Paul A. Boudreau, administrator
18 Sept. 1950 - 20 Nov. 1950
Terence J. Power, administrator
21 Nov. 1950 - 10 July 1952
Terence J. Power, pastor
10 July 1952 - 15 Sept. 1954
R. Colonel MacLeod, pastor
15 Sept. 1954 - 17 Aug. 1959
D. Leo Carter, pastor
17 Aug. 1959-1 Oct. 1963
Hector J. MacNeil, pastor
1 Oct. 1963 - 9 July 1969
Anthony B. O'Brien, pastor
9 July 1969 -
Hughie MacDonald information sources: Newspaper article - Churches by the Sea -
by M Allen Gibson - date unknown to me - clipping was cut out and not dated.
excerpt from ANTIGONISH DIOCESE PRIESTS and BISHOPS 1786-1925
by Rev. A. A. Johnston, Litt.D. - contributed by Perle Connolly